Every ride to work and home on a commuter bus operated by Academy Bus comes with an automatic apology from the dispatcher and/or the bus operator.
I have been commuting from Ocean County to New York City for now two years, and I can’t wait for retirement in order to stop the daily torture we passengers suffer every trip.
Most of the commuter busses operated by Academy are leased from NJ Transit. They all are in need of extensive overhaul or retirement. They all rattle and make noise like a metal bucket full of nuts and bolts.
Break-downs are common. Very often you can see a bus pulled over to the shoulder with its passengers standing behind the guard rail, waiting for a rescue bus.
Rescue busses are hard to come-by. Our driver normally tells us that the garage has no personnel available to bring our rescue vehicle.
It has become a common practice for the 4:20 pm Forked River bus departing from the Port Authority Bus terminal (PABT) on Fridays to get cancel. The gate dispatcher tells us that they do not have enough drivers. As it turns out, our normal 4:20 pm bus operator gets assigned to operate the 4:00pm bus to Atlantic City. The 4:00 pm bus to Atlantic City from PABT only operates Fri- Sat- Sun. A round trip ticket to Atlantic City is $40.00 while a ten trip to Forked River is $155.00; the economics tells you who wins a ride.
This week so far has not had a day without incident.
• Friday 4/20/16 4:20 PM cancelled Had to wait for the 4:40 PM: some people could not get on, had to wait for the 5:10 PM
• Monday 4/23/16 The 5:25 AM for Wall Street was Combined with the 5:30 AM to PABT between Forked River and Monmouth rest area; adding 15 minutes to the commute.
• Tuesday 4/24/16 The 5:25 AM for Wall Street was Combined with the 5:30 AM to PABT between Forked River and Monmouth rest area; adding 15 minutes to the commute.
• Tuesday 4/24/16 4:20 PM departed 15 min. late
• Wednesday 4/25/16 4:20 PM bus had an electrical problem; bus would not restart after arriving at Parkway exit 109, had to disembark and wait for the arrival of the 4:40 Pm bus out of PABT, to continue the trip. (Prior to pulling into exit 109 park and ride to investigate the electrical problem, we passed another Academy bus parked on the shoulder waiting for its recue bus.)
• Thursday 4/26/16 5:30 AM bus from Forked River was 15 min. late for its initial pick-up at forked River.
Now I am wondering what awaits me on my commute home tonight.
Tax payer; whose taxes help pay for the capital investment for the buses Leased to Academy Bus Co.
Product or Service Mentioned: Academy Bus Bus Service.
Reason of review: Poor customer service.